2010년 11월 23일 화요일

[Review] 2 months with the EX1


MAGAZINE CAMERATa
Vol.38
OCTOBER 2010
HARDWARE REVIEW
SAMSUNG EX1
Samsung
VLUU EX1
2 months with the EX1
Hwang Seon Gu, Professor of Photography in Seoul Institute of the Arts
Can I find a camera I really want?
I’m a professor of Photography, but what I’d really like is to be viewed as a photographer changing the world with photos. I’ve been trying to take shots of stones for years. I’ve been able to use my camera’s digital panorama function to take pictures that are larger than 3m. I also have taken shots on rainy and windy days for a more dramatic effect. I use one of the best cameras in the world, but while taking shots in these extreme situations, I often felt that I should just throw my pictures in to the sea adjacent to the rocks I hoped to capture. It may not be the same for ordinary users, but for a photographer, I believe that the camera should have a better performance and better results than you expect.
Some photographers always carry their cameras, but I actually don’t bring a DSLR along unless I’m taking shots for work. I’m a maniac for food, coffee, cars, and devices and write a photo diary, so I always carry a compact camera.
Since I have several compact cameras, I always carry 3 cameras in my bags and car to use them directly. When taking shots for work, I always carry a compact camera as a substitute that I hang on my waist. Supposedly, I use the best DSLR on the market for work, but I’m not always satisfied with it. On the contrary, I’m often dissatisfied with my results.
In general, I have no objection to compact cameras, because I know the pros and cons, and I’m also well aware of their limitations.
When using a compact camera, you almost always run into certain obstacles, like shutter lag, a narrow aperture of about F3.5-9, lackluster lens performance due to its small structure, and a small CMOS sensor. In spite of these shortcomings, compact cameras have some strong points including great portability with a built-in flash, 5cm Macro Shooting, and pretty decent shots in low light conditions, so I actually use them a fair amount.
Beyond a compact digital camera – the EX1
While using compact digital cameras, I wanted to find a compact camera that could couple the compact’s great portability with the DSLR’s ability to take great photos. Most photographers I know want a camera that conveniently upgrades the performance of compact cameras with DSLR image quality. Before I knew it, Samsung introduced the camera we’d all been looking for. Combining great functions with outstanding image quality, the Samsung EX1 is one of the best cameras I’ve worked with and is able to largely minimize all of the limitations of digital cameras. In doing so, Samsung has produced a camera that produces great results and surpasses the limitations of every compact camera I’ve ever used in the past.
The EX1′s fast F/1.8 Schneider lens, 1/1.7″ CCD (which is 2.5x bigger than normal compact cameras), swivel 3″ AMOLED screen, Smart Range, and DRIMeIII image processing engine enable it to produce high quality pictures faster and easier than ever, bringing compact cameras to an entirely new level.
Amazing image quality of a fast F/1.8 lens, 1/1.7”
CCD, and DRIM3 Image Processing Engine
After two months of using my EX1 one of the most amazing things I’ve discovered is that the image quality is high even in a low light condition. Typically, the most important factor in determining high image quality is the combination of the size of the CCD, the lens performance, and the image processing engine. The Samsung EX1 has the fastest F/1.8 5.2-15.6mm (24-72mm on 35mm equivalent) Schneider lens I’ve ever used. A fast lens has an advantage of using faster shutter speed in low light conditions, and more importantly it normally has a large lens that allows for better lens design.
The Samsung EX1 also has a 1/1.7″ CCD which is 2.5x bigger than normal compact cameras, so it has less noise, good color feeling, and gradation. It also enables users to print large pictures, so its image quality is almost as strong as mirrorless and entry level DSLR cameras.
No matter how great a lens or CCD, if the camera has a bad image processing sensor, it’s not possible to take great shots. DRIMeIII, Samsung’s own image processing engine, allows the camera to take great photos by marrying Samsung camera’s know-how with the state-of-the-art technology of Samsung Electronics.
Both in good photo-taking environments and bad (like indoors, night scenery, low light condition, and food shots), the EX1 produces great results. Because I never expected good image quality from a compact camera, in the past, I used a DSLR camera if I needed to ensure good image quality. While the EX1 may not be the best camera for very large pictures, for smaller things like a photo diary, the quality was just what I needed.
Swivel 3″ AMOLED screen
There were some cameras using a swivel display in highend and entry level DSLR camera, but I’m almost certain that the EX1 is the first compact digital camera using the 3″ swivel display. Not only is this a user-friendly feature, it’s a bright and low power consumption Samsung AMOLED screen, which enables me to take both shots of traditional displays and more complicated ones. Typicaly, with a compact camera, when taking shots under the daylight, it was difficult to see the screen. However, the 3″ AMOLED screen of the EX1 was great to take shots under the bright daylight without much trouble.
The swivel display is very convenient, because it allows users to take shots that are difficult if not impossible to take with a fixed display. It can also find new angles which might not otherwise be visible like between leaves. On a sunny day or the light source is located in the back of the camera, a particular display might not be visible. But with the swivel display, it’s possible to deflect the reflected light while maintaining the desired angle.
Another advantage of the swivel display is that it can take self-shots by changing the direction of the lens. It’s also possible to adjust the position and distance of the models when taking shots with a self timer. I found the swivel display to be very useful for taking shots in a life and photo diary without disturbing others while taking my shots.
I was worried about the battery consumption of the EX1, because of the large and bright display, but it could actually take shots for longer than other compact cameras with an LCD screen.
Advantage of new functions and Weakness
Despite a comparatively large 1/1.7″ CCD, 10M pixels for a compact camera isn’t as high as is typically being offered in the market today. Of course, the pixel number is not as important as noise or other factors for image quality, but it’s still insufficient for cameras beyond those in the compact camera category. Shutter speed in M mode and exposure in P, A, and S modes can be adjusted by using the front wheel.
In contrast to a few difficulties, the camera’s Dual Dial on the top was very convenient, displaying functions that were often hidden on the front of the camera. Plus, Continuous Shot,
Bracketing, and Self Timer were programmed to another dial for more convenience. Moreover, a self timer with 3 functions were very useful to take various different types of shots including self-shots.
However, the camera’s body is too smooth, so it was often mistakenly rotated when removed from a case. The design would preferably have enabled more delicate control. It might be different for different users, but white balance adjustment is very important to me, so I use it a lot. I actually use Daylight and Auto adjustment the most. It was inconvenient to adjust the white balance with the EX1, because it has white balance function in the menu. Of course, in Smart Auto mode, the white balance was also changed to Auto, but because I use P mode the most, it might have been better if it was included on the Dual Dial or made accessible in another more convenient way.
In recent digital cameras, the movie recording function has become standard, almost imperative to the model. Compared to some cameras supporting HD movie recording function, the movie recording of the EX1 wasn’t always that strong, but it was convenient to use, because of its separate recording button.
Sub camera for Professional Photographers and
high-end camera for maniac -the EX1
In considering the target customer for the EX1, I had a few thoughts. First of all, I want to thank to Camera department of Samsung Electronics for this great digital camera. I have several compact, high-end, and mirrorless cameras, but I think I’m going to use the EX1 as my primary camera going forward. As a sub camera for a professional photographer, the EX1 is an outstanding addition to the camera market.
In keeping with the benefits that I have derived in using this camera, I think the EX1 could be a great digital device for various different professions, including design, architecture, fashion, food critique, and animation.
In the end, I’d like to strongly recommend the EX1 to those who want a trustworthy camera. I haven’t really met a camera that satisfied me, because I’m a picky person in choosing my instruments. The EX1 is a reliable and superior product, that surpassed all of my expectations. It’s going to be a camera I use for while to make great photos for my photo diary and my life. I hope that others find the EX1 to be the outstanding product that I have.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기